This is my place to share with family and friends. You might find handmade cards, digital scrapbook pages, photos or a little chatter because those are the things I love. My blog is a work in progress, so be patient with me. Most of the time I think I will be talking to myself, but hey, I'm used to that!



Saturday, August 1, 2009

I've been busy creating....

food, not cards, lol! I having been canning. I never have before. My DD got me interested and I started to research and became intrigued. The first thing I attempted was grape jelly. It is so easy and DH likes peanut butter and grape jelly.



Then I made some homemade salsa and processed that. I like that I can adjust thespices to our taste. Here is the salsa.



Friday I went to my daughter's house and we shopped at the Amish farmer's market for fresh fruits and vegetables. She is very lucky that the market is just a couple of miles from her. I am hoping she will decide to have her own garden next year. She certainly has the room and she also has forced labor, ahem, I mean two helpful children to share the work.
I got these peaches from the market and made some peach preserves. They are so good this time of year.I wound up eating two of the peaches. I just couldn't resist them. Because of that, I didn't have quite enough for the recipe so I had to send Don out to the farm stand to get a few extra peaches, lol.




I also made a big pot of beef vegetable soup and put it up in quart jars for us. I don't like canned soups so it will be nice to have these on hand. One more photo, the vegetable soup.



My next project is to put up some potatoes, peeled and cubed, ready to cook. I have about 25 lbs of red potatoes sitting in the kitchen waiting for me. If you are still reading, thanks for indulging my enthusiasm and looking at the photos. I'll keep you posted on my adventures in canning and I'll have some cards to post tomorrow.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been busy!! Everything looks delicious! I love the light shining through the jelly! :)

Louise F NZ said...

Wow you have been busy! I always preserve peaches and plums. I have also planted a crabapple tree so eventually I will make crabapple jelly! YUM
I am really impressed that you made so many yummy things over a weekend, GOOD ON YOU!!!!!!!

Melinda said...

Everything looks so yummy, Cathy! and your cards are always gorgeous!

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh my gosh...my mouth is watering! We can't get "real" peaches here...only the white ones; not so sweet. I miss my produce! This looks amazing!! All that is missing is the yummy label from the SAB stamp set! LOL

Tlbran said...

WOW! You are so brave! My mom loves to can and make jams but I have always been to afraid to try. That jam and soup look so yummy! You have been very productive this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Yum, this stuff looks good. You have been busy. I know how time consuming canning can be.

Sankari W. said...

wow talk about BUSY!!!! You GO girl!!! I agree with Kim - the light shining thru the jars is simply lovely and delish!!!!

Naomi said...

This is amazing! I haven't canned in ages! The potatoes are a genius idea! Imagaine just pulling down a jar, boiling them and whipping up some potato salad! That would definitely be worth the initial effort! I need to look into this. The soup is a great idea, we don't eat canned soup either, so I could make one huge pot and divide it up!

Beth Jacobs said...

You have been busy... everything looks yummy.. especially the veggie soup. I am in your inky ones blogging group... looking forward to getting to know you!

Kathi said...

Oh my goodness, everything looks so yummy! I haven't done any canning for years but I truly enjoyed it when I did! It's a lot of work but it really pays off later when you can just grab a jar of your own homemade goodies!

scrapbookqueensassymouth said...

wow wished i could can and them look this good. great job!!

Jenn Embry said...

It all looks great! I wish I had the desire to learn how to can, but really I don't. LOL I do make freezer jam a couple of times a year. We don't have a garden, but are contemplating digging up part of our backyard to put one in next year. Currently we have six tomato plants that are in large pots on our back deck. That has worked well for us so far. :-)